Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Audio Tutorial System

As I read this article, my mind went crazy with ideas. I was thinking how great it would be to implement a simple system like this within elementary schools. I'm sure somewhere in the United States, someone is using a system similar; however, in Nash County, I am unaware of any such thing. I thought listening centers would be a great idea...where students can come in and listen to their teachers give info about a subject and they could also see graphs and charts. Something like this would be easy to make, even for teachers that aren't quite up to par with their 21st century skills. Using a program such as ActivInspire, presentations with video and sound can easily be made by anyone.

I also thought that something like this could solve teachers' "time" issues. If students used their time before and after school to learn lessons, class time could be more effectively used. The major problem that I come across is that I'm not sure elementary students are as well-equipped for individual learning....in that I have seen what they do on ClassWorks and ClassScape and that is just quickly click through answers without reading.

I really like this approach to "distance learning" and am considering giving it a try in my own classroom.

I have also considered having my students learn about ideas and then teach each other, but our students don't quite understand researching ideas and finding key points. If we were to have more "guided" research, by using this approach, maybe the kids would be able to better teach each other.

I would like to see first hand how this style of learning affects the grades of the lower-level students and how our upper-level students respond to it.

I still wonder how the motivation of younger students would affect their ability to handle something like this, but its worth a shot to see how it works.

I have focused mainly on elementary, but I can see where this would work across all ages and subjects. I only wish they had classes like this when I was in high school and more like this when I was in undergrad.

7 comments:

  1. Good points about the age-appropriateness of different models. Individualized instruction models like PSI probably are better for high school and college students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your opinion about using it as supplemental materials to save time in class. But I also don't think AT approach or PSI can replace the class meeting for students in a younger age. Because they need lots of social skills like cooperate with peers that I thought can only be taught in class meeting time.

    C. Kao

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say that as far as, "just quickly click through answers without reading" - I work with adults who do the same thing. We get a lot of calls from people who are asking questions about something that is explained on the page...I get so frustrated wondering why no one reads. I wonder if it's because these are employees and not students. Either way - it makes teaching online courses difficult.
    M. Young

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too wish I had more classes using this method when I was in undergrad. I'm not one who grasps material during lectures. I always have to go home and learn it on my own. I remember struggling in some classes because I couldn't find help and my istructors were hard to get a hold of. If I had only had tutorials like these...
    I think it is great you are considering trying this method in your classroom.
    Mary Ellen Wells

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think this is great for supplemental material. It's interesting that you mentioned this in terms of elementary students. Those were great points. I had only thought about it from the viewpoint of college and adult learners. Also, thanks for mentioning some of the tools that are currently used in elementary education (ActivInspire, ClassScape, ClassWorks). I had no idea these tools were being used and I'll do a bit of research to learn more about them.

    Angela Farrior

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill Sipe:
    I work in cooperation with the middle and high school to develop modules for the elementary kids, especially for science and social studies. Older kids must research the topic and make a 2 minute tutorial about their "chunk" of the total module. They review each other's work and deliver the final product to us for a final grade. The elementary kids give the big kids feedback. Total cooperation and collaboration with a minimum of teacher interference. It has worked well for us. The big kids take responsibility for the content and delivery because they know the kids who will be using it. The little kids love to correct the big kids, but also love to "meet" their teachers in a wrap up SKYPE session.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Montessori schools, which are usually elementary schools, use a self-paced approach that is somewhat similar to the A-T approach. Of their own accord, students visit learning stations positioned throughout the room and manipulate materials. The teacher rotates between individual students (or small groups of students) to observe and teach. Since the students are young children, I imagine that they "teach" one another by modeling behaviors rather than through formal means such as presenting.

    ReplyDelete