Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Keller Plan

I want to preface by saying two things. First, this week and next week's readings were surprisingly interesting. It is possible that these are the first articles I have completed reading in my college career. Fingers crossed, that is a good sign. :)

Secondly, I want to note that while I am reading, I am interpreting the information through the perspective of an elementary school teacher; therefore, a lot of my thoughts and questions are based on what I know from my teaching experience. If I were a college professor, I'm sure my thoughts would be different.

In point number two, synchronous and asynchronous learning, I thought the description of college was fairly accurate. It pretty much summed up my first college experience. I completely agree with the idea that synchronous learning is confining. I think not only to the students, but to the teacher as well. I teach Computer to elementary students and by the time I get to Thursday, I want to run away screaming because I have repeated the same lesson time and time again....this is hardware, this is software, this is a toolbar, this is a CPU...blah...blah...blah.

Last year as a first grade teacher, I struggled with several students reading on a higher level and several other students not reading at all. If learning, even at such a young age, could be asynchronous, it seems like a lot of educational problems could be solved.

I like the idea that learning is creative. I have always felt that with some children, no matter how many times you teach a concept to them (particularly in math) and no matter how many different ways you teach it, they are not going to understand it until their brain is ready or until they have matured enough to understand a concept.

I have often asked the question, "Why can't my children learn?" I like the Keller Plan to solve this problem; however, in elementary school some of these goals are the same goals we spend meeting after meeting going over. Things such as learning modules, differentiation, student "doing." The problem we always encounter is time. These ideas seem the best way for students to learn; however, teachers are so stretched for time, that sometimes we have trouble creating these ideal learning situations. I would like to try and put this plan into action in some way to see if it helps our students achieve their goals.

I noted 3-4 times that asynchronous learning requires a lot of prep time; quite possibly more time than synchronous learning because you are preparing several levels of lessons as opposed to just one. Each one has its pros and cons and is time consuming in a different way...but I think I am more in favor of the asynchronous learning.

I laughed at the idea that off-campus students need more individual attention than on-campus students. In undergrad I rarely approached a teacher for help...whereas now I have no problem asking every question that comes to mind!

Projects are significant to learning. I think this is so true. I can read a book all day long, but until I do it, I will not have learned anything other than a few simple facts.


7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your reflection. One of my thoughts while reading concerns asynchronous learning - since some students are excelling while others are falling behind it seems they would need customized learning environments. One of the disadvantages to the Keller Plan for such young learners (in my mind) seems to be that self-paced doesn’t seem like it would bode well for youngsters who aren’t performing well. I suppose this is why asynchronous teaching requires so much work – I just wonder how many young students would get on the ball with self-paced learning and how many would drop the ball.

    I’m sure these conversations and ideas are why it’s so difficult to make changes in the educational system. I think we’ll see changes in education happening in the private/business sector before we see it in state-funded education. Although, I have to say NCVPS is doing VERY well – and they are state-funded, but it is also their job to be innovative, creative and technologically oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,

    This is Dipali writing.

    I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I would have a question that how easy it will be to implement Keller Plan at elementary grades? I have never taught in elementry schools but my few observations about younger -elementary school kids are:
    They need more structured lessons.(rather than self paced lessons)
    Some of them might need some 'push'.
    Or some of them have a totally diffrent style of learning (like learning while playing)
    Which may need one to one attentation which might be time taking and expensive job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reflection and interesting thought provoking comments; that is why I wanted to teach high school. Those young minds seem uncontrollable to me. It is a good thing I didn't realize that teenagers are still children and just as hard to control. Self paced learning requires discipline and that requires maturity or a strong interest. So, I believe we have to be more creative to hold the interest of children and keep them motivated to stay on task. It will be more challenging as K12 educators move into virtual teaching. Younger students will need lots of support and guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this point, I really could not imagine how to keep the younger learners motivated. I just think, in theory, it would be a "cool" idea. I wish there was the time and money it took available to do such and experiment!

    Having taught high school before...sometimes they are more difficult to control than elementary students because they think that they can control their minds, when in reality, if we all think back on it...we are probably less in control as teenagers than at any other time!! Younger students are more willing to listen and be told what to do and usually think the way you want them to than teenagers. Young students are generally "mesmerized" by the things we have to tell them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with your opinion about asynchronous learning has more stuff to do than a face-to-face class meeting. Somehow, preparing in advance to show a theory or a concept without seeing students' facial expressions is very difficult to me. I think I need a lot of supplemental data or pics to show all of my studnets to get them understand it. However, I believe that when time past, the results worth our efforts because we'll just need to modify it when better information shows, we won't have to do it all over again from the very beginning. I regarded it as a long-term invest :). And hope the course I create online will get the win-win situation for my students and me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth,

    I like what you have to say about asynchronous vs. synchronous. Suppose your class would be converted over to an asynchronous class next fiscal year. How would the things you do now change in the future? ;)

    I have worked with many special needs children and adults. I taught a computer class at a center that served people with learning, physical and mental disabilities. I laughed at your description of running screaming by Thursday. It's those things that ring true and strike close to home that are the funniest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all have made some good points about the self-paced nature of the Keller Plan and whether or not it would work for younger students. This conversation reminds me of the evaluation work we've done with the state virtual school where a lot of the work, whether intended or not, ends up being self-paced without a lot of teacher support. Some students can succeed in this model, but others really struggle when they lack self-directed learning skills and motivation. It's probably not for everyone, and underscores the importance of having a proactive tutor or assistant to keep in touch, regularly check up on, and monitor a student's progress through self-paced materials.

    ReplyDelete