Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cooperative Learning

First thought from the Mills paper, I wish we had done more cooperative learning when I was younger. I don't remember doing much of it back then, which is why I might not be a fan of it now. I certainly don't mind it, but think sometimes I may not have been taught some of the skills needed as a child for cooperative group work.

I completely agree with the idea of intrinsic learning. I pretty much hated one of my majors in undergrad, so I dont feel like I learned much. I just did it because I was good at it, not because I liked it.

Reflection is such an important part of learning to me. I feel like my learning experience is more complete once I reflect on it.

The part about making learning relevant...that is something I agree with and think is very important, but is definitely easier said than done. Later the article mentions that knowing the theories is not enough for a cooperative classroom. I agree 100% with that statement. I can know all the theories in the world, it doesn't make me a good teacher.

In the final pages, the article states, "No matter how carefully teachers plan, some things will invariably go wrong." All I have to say is, hahahaha...very true.

The Johnson article reminds me off undergrad. I just talked to my old college friend about our lack of group work. We were taught to be very individual learners and I dont recall doing much in a group at all. I think I did have 1 or 2 English classes where we worked in groups, but thats 1 out of 10.

This article also addresses Theory vs. Implementation. I like that it says CL is more than putting students in a group or sitting them at a table together. I think staff development in this area is important. Something I should mention to my principal. Our school is focused on differentiation, but our staff development continues to use thinking maps to define what differentiation is...they never tell us how to implement CL!!

Students cannot succeed unless everyone does...love it.

Overall, I have to say...I liked these 3 articles. They made it sounds like CL was something that could be done, not just another theory to learn about and study. Our principal has been making us read articles weekly and turn in assignments. I think I will give her these three articles as a suggestion for staff reading. :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree that there isn't much point in studying theory if you never get around to implementing it. I liked how the article by Barbara Millis integrated theory and applications. I had never heard of the Double Entry Journal, but it sounds like an excellent tool for encouraging "meaningful learning." Writing in a journal isn't a cooperative activity, of course, but encouraging students to share their journal entries with one another is an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete